- Delgatie, Turriff, AB53 5TD
- 01888 563479
Delgatie Castle is a castle near Turriff, in Aberdeenshire, Scotland.
A castle has stood on the site of Delgatie Castle since 1030, although the earliest parts of the castle standing today were built between 1570 and 1579. Additional wings and a chapel were added in 1743.
The castle was stripped from the disgraced Earl of Buchan after the Battle of Bannockburn in 1314 and given to Clan Hay (later to become the Earls of Erroll). Mary, Queen of Scots was a guest at the castle in 1562 after the Battle of Cirrichie.
Like many castles, Delgatie is rumoured to be haunted. A number of reports of a ghostly red-haired figure were made by soldiers posted there during the Second World War.
Architecturally, the castle consists of a keep, adjoining house and two later wings. Notable features include a very wide turnpike stair and painted ceilings dating from the 16th century in some rooms.
Today, the castle and its gardens are owned by the Delgatie Castle Trust. They are open to the public throughout the summer months and suites within the castle itself and a number of cottages the estate are available to rent.