- Antony House, Antony Estate, PL11 2QA
- 01752 812191
Early 18th-century mansion set in parkland and fine gardens landscaped by Repton. Has collections of paintings, furniture & textiles.
“Antony” is the name given to an early 18th-century house, which today is in the ownership of the National Trust. It is located between the town of Torpoint and village of Antony.
The house is faced in silvery-grey Pentewan stone, flanked by colonnaded wings of mellow brick and overlooks the river Lynher. It was built for Sir William Carew between 1711 – 1721, (although the family have owned the estate since the mid-1500s) and has continued as the Carew family’s primary residence ever since. Sir John Carew Pole, gave the house and formal gardens into the care of the National Trust in 1961, on the understanding that the family could continue to reside there for the next 50 years. Currently Sir Richard Carew Pole, president of the Royal Horticultural Society, lives there with his family.
The house and gardens are open to viewing by the public between March and October.