- Rose Hill Street, , LL32 8LD
- 01492 573282
Elegant suspension bridge constructed by Thomas Telford and toll-keeper’s house.
Conwy Suspension Bridge was one of the first road suspension bridges in the world. Located in the medieval town of Conwy in the traditional county of Caernarfonshire, North Wales, it is now only passable on foot. The bridge is now in the care of the National Trust.
Built by Thomas Telford, the bridge spans the River Conwy next to the magnificent Conwy Castle, a World Heritage Site. It was completed in 1826 and replaced the ferry at the same point. Telford cleverly matched the bridge’s supporting towers with the castle’s turrets. The suspension bridge runs alongside the wrought iron tubular railway bridge built by Robert Stephenson.
The crossing of the River Conwy has always been a problem and today the A55 road goes under the river by tunnel.