- Little Moreton Hall, Newcastle Road, Moreton, CW12 4SD
- 01260 272018
Little Moreton Hall is a manor house 4 miles SW of Congleton, Cheshire. It is one of the best known timber framed buildings in England and is in the care of the National Trust.
Little Moreton belonged to Moretons, a family of landowners, for nearly five centuries. It is a highly irregular building which rambles around three sides of a small cobbled courtyard. The exterior walls are made of white daub between dark wooden beams, which are set in a variety of patterns. It has a moat and an unusual Elizabethan knot garden.
The earliest part of the building is the great hall which dates from around 1450. The adjacent kitchen wing was added in about 1480. The east wing of the building was dates from about 1559 to 1570. This part of the house includes the chapel and the withdrawing room. At the junction of the east wing and the great hall there is a striking pair of gabled bay windows, which were signed by the carpenter:
“God is Al in Al Thing: This windous whire made by William Moreton in the yeare of Oure Lorde MDLIX. Richard Dale Carpeder made thies windous by the grac of God.”