- Snowshill Manor, Snowshill, WR12 7JU
- 01386 852410
An Arts & Crafts-style garden designed to complement a handsome Cotswold manor house. Has wonderful views of Cotswold countryside.
Snowshill Manor was the property of Winchombe Abbey from 821 until 1539 when the Abbey was confiscated by King Henry VIII during the Dissolution of the Monasteries.
Between 1539 and 1919 it had a number of tenants and owners until it was purchased by Charles Paget Wade, an architect, artist-craftsman, collector, poet and heir to the family fortune. He restored the property, living in the small cottage in the garden and using the manor house as a home for his collection of objects. He gave the property and the contents of this collection to the National Trust in 1951.
There are two aspects of Snowshill Manor: its garden and the manor house, which is now home to Wade’s eclectic collection.
The garden at Snowshill was laid out by Wade between 1920 and 1923 as a series of outside rooms seen as an extension to the house. Features include terraces and ponds.