- The Vyne, Vyne Road, Sherborne St. John, RG24 9HL
- 01256 883858
A 16th-century house and estate reflecting changing styles and tastes over 500 years.
The Vyne is a 16th-century country house in Sherborne St John, Basingstoke, Hampshire, England.
The Vyne was built for Lord Sandys, King Henry VIII’s Lord Chamberlain. The house retains its Tudor chapel, with stained glass. The classical portico on the north front was added in 1654 by Inigo Jones’s pupil John Webb. In the mid-18th century The Vyne belonged to Horace Walpole’s close friend John Chaloner Chute, who designed the Palladian staircase, whose magnificent apparent scale belies its actual small size.
The Vyne was bequeathed by its final Chute owner, Sir John Chute, to the National Trust in 1958.
Each year a number of concerts, plays and family events are run.
The grounds contain large woodland and a wetlands nesting site which is populated by swans and redshank. There are a number of woodland, wetland and parkland walking trails, including a family ‘Woodpecker Trail’ and a ‘Living Sculpture’ walk. Dogs are admitted only to the car park and Morgaston Wood.