- Wallington Hall, Wallington, NE61 4AR
- 01670 773600
A magnificent mansion with fine interiors and collections, set in extensive gardens and parkland.
Wallington Hall (grid reference NZ028841) is a country house and gardens located 18.8km (11.7 miles) west of Morpeth, Northumberland, England, near the village of Cambo. It has been owned by the National Trust since 1942.
The hall house was built in 1688 for Sir William Blackett before passing to the Trevelyan family in 1777. Charles Philips Trevelyan inherited the property from his father George Otto Trevelyan in 1928.
Set in 100 acres (40.5 hectares) of rolling parkland, the estate includes a wooded dene (valley), ornamental lakes, lawns, and a recently refurbished walled garden.
Alongside the beautifully furnished interior, attractions inside the house include the desk where Thomas Babington Macaulay, brother-in-law of Charles Edward Trevelyan, wrote his History of England, a large collection of antique dollshouses and an eight-panel fresco in the central hall depicting the history of Northumberland, painted by William Bell Scott.
The National Trust also own the Estate of which the house is a part; the produce from these farms, as well as others in the region, is sold in a farm shop on site.